Local Artist Lauren Manninen
Lauren is an artist who has worked with many kids in the Cedar Rapids School District through the Eastern Iowa Arts Academy After School Enrichment Program and at our Music and Arts Studios.
Follow along with Lauren to create a fun and easy printmaking project with items you have at home.
- Styrofoam - this could be a plate or a sheet of foam
- Washable Markers
- Wet Towel
- Paper - printer paper works just fine
- Cut your styrofoam into the shape you desire.
- Trace your styrofoam shape onto a piece of paper.
- Sketch a design onto the paper in the area you just traced.
- Cut out the design that you just sketched along the traced edge.
- Tape the design onto the styrofoam.
- Take a pen and re-trace your design to imprint your design into the styrofoam.
- Remove the paper from the styrofoam.
- Color in the styrofoam with the washable markers.
- Take a wet cloth and dampen a new sheet of paper.
- Take the piece of paper and lay it on top of the styrofoam you just colored with marker.
- Press firmly until the image starts to appear through the paper
- Gently peel back the paper and check out your design!
We hope you enjoyed this project and hope to see some of your work!
Share your work and stay connected!
We are curious to see your project! Upload photos in the comment section below. If you have trouble, or want to share a short video, email us at email@example.com. Leave your school name in the comment box and we will share images with your school!
We want to stay connected to our creative students when we get back to the new normal. While you are here, learn more about the Eastern Iowa Arts Academy. While we don't have much taking place in real space/time during the pandemic, we will get back to our regular live and in-person classes. When we do, we'd love to have you as a member!